Gram staining is where a microorganisms is coloure READ MORE HERE. I refuse to talk into the details as much can be found on the net. So here are the basics of Gram Staining
Preparation – put 2 drops of normal saline onto a glass slides. Put a small, teeny, tiny cultures onto the drops of saline. Mix the microbes with the saline. Heat Fix the slides. The slides are now ready for staining.
Gram Staining –
- Flood using Crystal Violet for 30sec and wash with running water
- Flood using Grams Iodine for 30sec and wash with running water
- Flood using Grams Iodine Acetone for 3sec and wash with running water. Watch out for this step as more than 3sec would render all your stain worthless.
- Flood using Gram Safranin for 30sec and wash with running water
- Blot dry using blotting paper and ready to be viewed under microscope.